This guide will walk you through the steps to make your first requests to the sandbox API. Calling endpoints in production will follow a similar process but use different URLs.
Getting started with the Astra API follows a simple, four-step process:
- Create your developer account and generate API keys
- Create a test user profile
- Authorize your client with the test user
- Make a request to the API with an
To view a code-based walkthrough of the user onboarding happy path see our latest recipe:
If you have a working Python3 environment, you can copy the code from this recipe and run it to quickly create a user with an
Create your developer account
You will need an active developer account to use Astra's sandbox API.
Sign up and generate API keys
- If you haven't already, browse to our Sandbox Dashboard
- Enter your email and set a password.
- Enter your first and last name and agree to our Developer Policy and Terms of Service.
- When you click
Create Accountyou will be taken to the Dashboard panel.
- On the Dashboard panel fill out the two required fields to generate your application's
a. Name of your application
b. Redirect URI for your application (you can change this value via the Dashboard)
- Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page. The page will refresh and reveal a new Keys section which will contain the Client ID and Client Secret for your application.
You now have an active developer account. You can always log into this dashboard again using your email address and password.
You may always return to the dashboard to access your keys. To rotate your keys or edit your redirect URI please contact us.
Note that Redirect URIs are used to guide Users back to a specific page in your application after exiting our SDK. You may register multiple Redirect URIs through your Developer Dashboard, but it's important to note that Redirect URIs must remain consistent in OAuth URLs when an end-user is navigating through our SDK.
Create a test user profile
To create the authorization required to make a request to the Astra API on behalf of an end user, you will need a test user profile. You can follow this process to create one.
The process outlined below for Creating a new test user is a quick way to get up and running with testing functionality.
In production, the user creation process begins with User Intents.
See our guide to testing in the sandbox for additional details.
Creating a new test user
- If you haven't already, browse to our Sandbox Application
- Enter your phone number
- When you click
Continueyou will then receive an SMS message that includes a one-time use code
- Enter the code you received
- Enter your name and email
- Click the button to
Connect Bank Account(you will need at least one connection to simulate real world user details. Test credentials will show up on the screen.)
You now have an active user profile. You can always log into the app again using your phone number. Within the app, you can add or edit your bank connections, see your accounts, and check the verification status of your user profile.
Authorize your client with the test user
The majority of the endpoints in the Astra API require Authorization of your client application by the end user. This process generates the Authorization Code you will exchange for an Access Token.
- Browse to the OAuth URL generated in the dashboard (select Collect Authorization from the Action Type dropdown)
- Using your test user profile (from above), log in, then click Authorize
- On success, the user will be redirected to the URI associated with your developer account
- Capture the
authorization_codefrom the URL
- Exchange the
Currently, you must use an API tool like Postman or a server to securely exchange the
authorization_codein step 5. If your client is a Single Page Application (SPA), contact us for more information.
Make a request to the API with an Access Token
All endpoints that interact with an end user's Accounts or Routines require an Access Token in the API request header.
- Capture the
access_tokenfrom the authorization step above
Authorization: Bearer access_tokento the header of a request
- Make a request to the API (we recommend the
- A successful request will return the appropriate payload
- Contact Astra to fully configure your client for your desired payment solutions:
- Congratulations, you are now ready to set up automated Routines and Transfers!
Updated about 1 month ago